Monday, November 13, 2017

Ranma 1/2

I never really read any manga, but I did quiet enjoy reading Ranma.  It has a silly stupid sense of humor and crazy lovable characters. I do find it amusing how much fan service there is, it is objectively worse then Marvel or DC. Even with all the unnecessary amount of female nudes, it is still follishly fun time.

In class there was mention that the manga got an anime adaptation. So I decided to look into it.  When I was reading the comic, I thought that Ranma and his female form would look the same, such as having the same hair, ect. In the comic Ranma is stuck in his female form but needed to be in his male form, so he dress up like a man in order to convinced other that he is the male Ranma. To the surprise of the other cast member Ranma's plan worked.  Also in the comic people keep wondering connection between the make and female Ranma, and one of the feature pointed out was they had the same hair. In the animation they gave his female version red hair and this male version black hair, I find this a bit perplexing. I can't think of an artistic reason to do this.  I wondered why this choice was made. If it was to make a bigger point about how his female form is not him and its very separate from his identity or just to add a pop of color.


I was looking up example to show on the blog and I found that there was a multitude of colors used in for the comic cover.  I read the comic in black and white, so in my head every one had black or dark brown hair. But this is not true, Ranma's hair is an enigma and color is relative. In character design usually you stick to iconic characteristics and color is among one of then. 


Even from cover to cover everyones colors change, there is no consistency. I am convinced it might just be dependent of the mood of the colorist.
In the TV show his female form is just a red head. Which is not as fun as the manga covers that constantly switch and ever change the colors of the cast. I would like to say that they are quite the colorful cast. 



No comments:

Post a Comment